Controller - Nonprofit
San Francisco Metro Area, California
Location: San Francisco, CA
As GiveWell continues to increase its influence on charitable giving to highly effective, evidence-backed charities, one of our top priorities is to strengthen our internal operations. We are looking for a Controller to play a key role in this process by managing our day-to-day finance and accounting processes while building solid systems optimized for efficiency and growth.
The Controller will report to the Director of Operations, oversee our outsourced accounting firm, and work closely with the donations team and other operations staff. We would like to hire a professional for this position who has solid knowledge in the areas of responsibility below and a strong interest in collaborative problem-solving and building robust, flexible systems.
- Manage and improve accounting processes:
- Ensure quality control and segregation of duties for financial transactions.
- Oversee transition from Quickbooks to Intacct.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and support month-end and year-end close processes.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Manage outsourced accounting firm.
- Lead the budgeting process and the development of financial modeling for internal planning, evaluation, and monitoring.
- Develop performance measures to support the company s strategic direction.
- Prepare our annual and quarterly metrics reports.
- Conduct grant reconciliation process and oversee grantmaking to external charitable entities, including foreign organizations.
- Collaborate with donations staff and consultants on process and technical improvements.
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations.
- Report on our financial position and the annual audit to management and the Board of Directors.
- Monitor cash balances and banking relationships. Review and maintain insurance coverage and relationships with brokers.
- 5+ years of combined accounting and finance experience, preferably including nonprofit experience.
- CPA preferred; advanced degree in accounting or finance, or an MBA, preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures, particularly as they apply to nonprofits.
- Experience with creating budgets and financial statements.
- Familiar with general ledger functions and month-end/year-end close processes.
- Experience with Intacct and/or Salesforce preferred. Experience with software administration and migrations preferred.
- Comfortable working independently and overseeing external vendors.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.Givewell.Org.
In 2015, GiveWell tracked $110 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have eighteen full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
CVPartners, an Addison Group Company, is an EEO employer. We consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.